Thursday, May 28, 2009

Toasted Almond Granola




After I made granola the first time, I got really accustomed to eating it in my yogurt every day. Then, as it happens, I ran out. I had eaten it all. So I decided to make some more! But this time, I wanted to try a different recipe, just for fun.

And, I like this one EVEN BETTER! It got crunchier, partly because I baked it longer, but also because of the ingredients. I really like the saltiness that the sunflower seeds add, and the combination of dried fruits is really delicious.

Now that I've made granola twice, I might experiment in the future. The basic method is the same, but the ingredients can be altered.

The first step is to combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. I like the Rice Krispies in this recipe - they add a nice crackle! Then combine the orange juice, honey and oil in a small saucepan and heat until the honey is dissolved. Remove from the heat and then stir in the extracts.

Pour the orange juice mixture over the oat mixture and stir well to coat.



Pour the granola onto a 15x10 inch baking pan coated with non stick spray. (If you have a Pampered Chef stoneware "bar" pan, I would recommend using that.)



Bake for 25-30 minutes until it is crisp. Stir every 10 minutes. Remove the pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Once it is cool, stir in the dried fruits. This recipe uses golden raisins, apricots and cranberries or cherries.



Store the granola in an airtight container. Enjoy it with yogurt, sprinkled over ice cream, or just with milk. (or plain!)

For more great recipes, visit Overwhelmed with Joy and Food on Fridays.

Toasted Almond Granola

3 cups old fashioned oats
2 cups crisp rice cereal (Rice Krispies)
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
1/3 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp. sunflower seeds
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup honey
2 tsp. canola oil
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup dried cranberries or cherries

In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. In a saucepan, combine the orange juice, honey and oil. Heat for 3-4 minutes over medium heat until honey is dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in extracts. Pour over the oat mixture and stir well to coat.

Pour granola into a 15x10 baking pan coated with non stick spray. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until crisp, stirring every 10 minutes. Remove and cool completely on a wire rack. Stir in fruit. Store in an airtight container. Makes 8 cups.

4 comments:

  1. Looks yummy. Ive never made granola before. My recipe is up as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love homemade granola! My recipe calls for Rice Crispies too, and they really do improve the texture. I've never tried one with orange juice, it sure sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about that--a much better documented granola recipe than mine! Love it! Thanks for participating in Food on Fridays. Have a healthy, yummy breakfast Saturday morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love granola in my yogurt too! I've never thought to try to make my own but now I'll have to and I'll try your recipe to do it! :)

    Thanks for participating in my Favorite Ingredients Friday- Greatest Hits Edition recipe exchange. I’m doing a Weight Watcher’s Edition today!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.