Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Garlic Mashed New Potatoes



I love these small, red potatoes sometimes called new potatoes. They are so creamy and flavorful, and the peel is so thin that you don't need to peel them. The peel is a healthy part anyway!

My favorite way to make these is to roast them, but I got home too late to do that in this case. So I decided to make garlic mashed. I am not going to post specific amounts - this is a recipe that you can kind of just "go with" depending on how many potatoes you have.

First, scrub the potatoes to remove any dirt. Then chop. Here I chopped pretty small because I wanted them to cook fast! I halved them, then cut each half in quarters.



Put them in a saucepan and cover with water. Add a few cloves of minced garlic. I added about 4 cloves worth. I really like garlic. Don't worry though - the cooking adds subtle flavor and won't be overwhelming. Cover and bring to a boil, then simmer until tender, usually about 10 minutes.



Drain the water off the potatoes - careful, it's hot! - and then mash. I use an old fashioned hand masher; I like that it leaves a few chunks.



Now add a little milk, a "glug" at a time, just until it's a bit creamy. You don't want them too runny.



I don't generally add any butter to these, as they are already quite creamy. But I do add just a dollop of sour cream for flavor, and then I stir it well to incorporate it.

These goes well with any kind of meat. Enjoy!

Get more recipe ideas using potatoes and other root vegetables at the Ultimate Recipe Swap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.