Friday, May 1, 2009

Stromboli



When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's STROMBOLI!!! Oh wait, I guess it's amore. Well, in my book stromboli=amore!

It seems a little ridiculous to post a "recipe" for stromboli because you should just use whatever filling you like! So I will show you what I do, and you can adjust according to your preferences.

I start with a loaf of frozen bread dough that is thawed. When it thaws, it will balloon up!

Roll it out into a rectangle. Or something that vaguely resembles a rectangle...



I wanted to use cooked onions instead of raw so I sauteed them in some olive oil. I removed the onion, added a touch more olive oil, and added fresh spinach, cooking and stirring just until it wilted.



Then I gathered all my "toppings" - roasted red pepper, sauteed onions, mushrooms, black olives, spinach, smoked ham and pepperoni.



This time I'm using shredded mozzarella because that's what I have. Provolone is really good too. If you're using shredded cheese, put it on first. Then layer your fillings on.



Roll it up jelly roll style, starting with the long side.



Place on a greased cookie sheet and sprinkle on some Italian spices. Bake til golden brown and cheese is melty, about 20-30 minutes. (Sorry, I've never kept track, I just watch it!)



Slice crosswise and serve with marinara sauce for dipping!

Stromboli

1 1-lb. loaf frozen bread dough, thawed
Mozzarella and or provolone cheese
Meats of choice: pepperoni, ham, salami, sausage etc.
Vegetables of choice: spinach, onion, peppers, olives etc.
1 tsp. Italian seasoning and 1/2 tsp. garlic salt

Roll dough out into large rectangle. Top with fillings. If using shredded cheese, place that on the dough first. Roll up jelly roll style. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and garlic salt. Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 400 for 20-30 minutes until golden brown and cheese is seeping out. Cut crosswise and serve with marinara sauce.

1 comment:

  1. Oh that looks delicious. I am definitely going to be making this for my family!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.