Monday, April 6, 2009

Cranberry Salad



Although this salad is made with jello, I hesitate to call it that - this is definitely not your grandmother's gelatin. This salad is full of fruity goodness, and the gelatin just helps it all [ahem] gel.

In my opinion, this salad tastes best when made with raspberry jello. However, I am a huge fan of "use what you have." Cherry and strawberry work equally well. I would just stay within the "red" jello family for this one.

This salad is so versatile - you could probably mix up the fruits with good results. I never have, because I like this combination. This salad pairs exceptionally well with pork or chicken dishes. I also love the fact that it can be made directly in the serving dish...

Combine the jello (regular or sugar free) with boiling water. Stir well until the gelatin is fully dissolved.



Next, add the cranberry sauce. You'll need to smoosh this down quite a bit as it tends to come out of the can in huge chunks.



Add mandarin oranges, a small chopped apple, and crushed pineapple or pineapple tidbits. (I usually use 1/2 of a 20oz can of pineapple and use the rest for fruit smoothies!)

Finally, stir in 1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon and just a dash of ground cloves. (I can't be bothered to measure 1/8 tsp... I just give the bottle a light shake.) Look how beautiful this is!



Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate for at least 4-6 hours or overnight. This salad is also beautiful in a mold. When I put it in a ring mold, I put the mandarin oranges in first, so that when it's unmolded, there's a nice ring of orange segments on top.

Cranberry Salad

3/4 c. boiling water
1 small package raspberry gelatin (4 serving size, regular or sugar free)
1 can whole berry cranberry sauce
1 small can mandarin oranges, drained
1 8 oz can pineapple, drained (crushed or tidbits)
1 small apple, chopped
1/8 tsp cinnamon
dash ground cloves

Combine gelatin with boiling water and stir until completely dissolved. Add cranberry sauce, breaking up large chunks with spoon. Add apples, oranges and pineapple, stirring well to incorporate. Add cinnamon and cloves and stir.

Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate 4-6 hours or overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.