Saturday, April 4, 2009

Fruit Smoothies

Fruit smoothies are a good way to get your daily requirement of fruits, and also use up any produce in the fridge or waning on the counter... almost any combination is good together, so use whatever you have or whatever you like. My favorite is mango, but I cannot be bothered to cut up a mango, so I order it in restuarants and make the easy ones at home!

I use a smoothie maker. If you enjoy frozen drinks and make them frequently, I highly recommend the investment. I find it far superior to the regular blender.

First, add your fruit and some liquid (juice usually) to your blender or smoothie maker. Here I've used pineapple tidbits, fresh strawberries, bananas and orange juice.



Blend the fruit and juice til smooth. Then, add ice to your preference. I usually add 12-15 ice cubes, a few at a time.



At this point, taste it! Depending on the type of fruit you're using, you may need to add some sweetener. In this case, I added 2 T. of honey. Blend again til smooth.

Enjoy!



For more cool food and drink, visit the Ultimate Recipe Swap.

Fruit Smoothies

10 oz pineapple (1/2 of a 20 oz can), plus all the juice
1/2 lb fresh strawberries, hulled
3 bananas
1/2 c orange juice
12-15 ice cubes
2 T honey

Add fruit and juices to the blender/smoothie maker. Blend til smooth. Add ice gradually until the smoothie is slushy enough for your personal preference. Sweeten as needed with honey. Blend til smooth, pour into individual glasses. Serves 4.

2 comments:

  1. How does a smoothie maker differ from a conventional blender minus the spout?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion, the smoothie maker does a better job "smoothing" out the ingredients, especially the ice, than a regular blender. The smoothie has two settings, blend and smooth, and the latter kicks up the "horsepower" a bit to really, well, smooth it out! If you have a heavy duty blender, it would probably work fine too. I have a kitchenaid "bar" blender, and I just found it didn't crush ice as well as I preferred.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.