Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Cherry Almond Brownies



So. These are not the most picturesque brownies - they won't garner a lot of attention from their looks. But don't let that deceive you. They should be tasted, savored and devoured. They're easy to whip up, maybe too easy. I'm going to pretend they're really difficult so that I don't go into the kitchen and make another batch. I love the combination of almonds and cherries, and when you put them in a homemade brownie, well, I'm a goner.

As I said, these are easy. And you don't even need to pull out your mixer - a good bowl and sturdy wooden spoon will do just fine.

In a small saucepan, combine the chopped chocolate and the butter.



Cook on low heat until the butter is melted and the chocolate is nearly melted. Remove from the heat and stir until the chocolate is fully melted. Pour the sugar into a large bowl, then add the chocolate.



Now add the eggs, one at a time,



and beat well after adding each one. Stir in the almond extract. Gently stir in the flour and salt then fold in the cherries



and the toasted almonds.



Transfer the batter to a greased 8-inch baking pan



and bake for 20-25 minutes until not quite set in the center.



Cool the brownies completely on a wire rack before cutting.

One year ago: BBQ Salmon
Two years ago: Oatmeal Raisin Muffins
Three years ago: Black Bottom Banana Cream Pie
Four years ago: Stromboli

There's more great stuff at Cast Party Wednesday, What's Cooking Wednesday, Wednesday Extravaganza, Wicked Good Wednesday, What's Cooking Wednesday (#2), Full Plate Thursday, Thursday's Treasures, Foodie Friday, Food on Fridays, Foodtastically Friday, Foodie Friday (#2), Try a New Recipe Tuesday, Food on Friday.

Cherry Almond Brownies

1/2 cup butter
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, roughly chopped
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup flour
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds
1/2 cup dried cherries

Combine the butter and chocolate in a small saucepan over very low heat, stirring occasionally. When chocolate is just about melted, remove from heat and continue to stir until smooth. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and add the sugar. Then beat in the eggs, one at a time. Gently stir in the flour, salt and almond extract then fold in the almonds and cherries. Scrape into a greased 8 inch pan and bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes, until barely set in the middle. Cool on a rack.

Recipe Source: Mark Bittman

4 comments:

  1. Yumm! This recipe looks great. For some reason brownies are one thing I usually just make from a mix, which is strange for me since I love making things from scratch. I think it's because I haven't found a recipe I love. I will be giving this one a try. I love cherries and almond! Krista @ A Handful of Everything

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious! I'd love for you to stop by and join us at "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2013/04/try-new-recipe-tuesday-april-30.html
    Many blessings, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for linking up! I hope you will be able to join us again this week. :-) http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2013/05/try-new-recipe-tuesday-may-7.html

      Delete
  3. Those brownies look delicious. I am a new follower. If you get a chance, please visit my blog. I am having a giveaway for my new cookie cookbook. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.