Monday, May 13, 2013

Spanakopita Bites


I love Greek food and I've always wanted to try my hand at spanakopita - a yummy spinach and feta pie. While I still might, some day, these little appetizers certainly satisfied my immediate craving for this treat. It was my first time working with phyllo dough, and while it is a little putsy - it's totally worth it. The light, crispy shell that is created from the paper thin layers of dough and BUTTER is absolutely delicious...

Let's get cooking!

In a large skillet,saute the two kinds of onion in a bit of olive oil until they are soft.


Transfer the cooked onions to a bowl, then add the cream cheese, feta,


spinach, and egg.


Season this mixture to taste with salt and pepper, then set aside while you prepare the shells.

Take the phyllo and put it in a stack. Then cut into 2-inch squares. I used a ruler so I could try to be as accurate as possible! You'll see that I was able to get 12 2-inch squares from my 1/2 pound of phyllo.


Now take the melted butter and brush a little of it into each well of your mini muffin tin.


Next, take two of your 2-inch squares of phyllo and tuck them into the muffin tin wells.


Brush lightly with butter,


then add two more squares of phyllo. Brush those lightly with butter, top with 2 more squares, and brush those with butter! You should now have 6 sheets of phyllo in each well, each set lightly brushed with butter.

Now fill each well with some of the spinach mixture.


Now place the bites in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until slightly bubbly and the shells are golden. Cool slightly then remove the bites from the pan - I actually just used my fingers to pluck them out, then placed them on a wire rack.


These are delicious served warm, and just as delicious at room temperature. You can be sure they will disappear quickly at any party, gathering, or ocassion where eating is involved....



One year ago: Strawberry Oat Muffins
Two years ago: Strawberry Banana Muffins
Three years ago: Molten Chocolate Cakes
Four years ago: Apple Slaw

Find more great stuff at My Meatless Monday, Mop it Up Monday, Mix it Up Monday, Melt in Your Mouth, On the Menu, Tasty Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday (#2), Tempt my Tummy, Totally Tasty Tuesday, Tasteful Tuesday, Tuesday Talent Show, Clever Chicks, Try a New Recipe, Hearth and Soul, Cast Party Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Whatcha Whipped Up, What's Cooking, Wednesday Extravaganza, What's Cooking Wednesday (#2), Food on Friday.

Spanakopita Bites

1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
3 green onions, chopped
10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
6 ounces cream cheese (low fat is fine)
1 egg
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 pound phyllo sheets, thawed
4 Tbsp. butter, melted

Heat olive oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add onions; cook until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.

Meanwhile, mix spinach, feta, cream cheese and egg in medium bowl. Add cooked onions and season with salt, and pepper.

Remove the phyllo dough from the package and stack up. Carefully cut the phyllo dough into 2 inch by 2 inch squares; set aside.

Prepare your mini muffin pan by brushing butter in each well. Place 2 squares of phyllo dough into each well, pushing down to create a cup or crust. Brush the top phyllo filled wells with more melted butter and repeat by placing 2 squares of phyllo dough into each well and pushing down to create a cup or crust again, then brushing with butter. Repeat with another layer of 2 squares of phyllo dough and brush with more melted butter.

Place a heaping tablespoon of spinach mixture into each well, filling the phyllo cup. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Makes 36-42 bites

Recipe Source: Adapted from What's Cooking Chicago

4 comments:

  1. I love this idea and will surely be trying this recipe.........Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Spanakopita Bites look absolutely scrumptious - perfect for a snack, or they'd make wonderful canapés at a cocktail party. Thank you for sharing them with the Hearth and Soul hop. I've shared them on my FB page, and I'm pinning them to my Appetizers board on Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great appetizer and it is being featured, this week, at My Meatless Mondays.

    I have to pick up some feta. Just ran out, the other day. Bad timing but I do have the spinach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious! I am going to try them for this weekend. Thanks so much for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I hope you will be able to join us again this week. :-) http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2013/05/try-new-recipe-tuesday-may-21.html Many blessings, Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.