Monday, June 7, 2010

Rosemary Roasted New Potatoes



I love roasted new potatoes. After much trial and error, I think I've figured out how to get them close to perfect - with a tender, soft inside and a nice, crunchy outside. And I'm delighted to share the "secret" with you. As with other potato recipes, I'm not going to give strict measurements, because it will depend on how much you're making. This is an easy one to eyeball, and a difficult one to screw up.

Start by scrubbing the potatoes gently under cold water, then cut them in quarters.



Put the potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Cover the saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Once it's boiling, reduce the heat so you don't get potato water all over your stove (experience is the greatest teacher!) and let the potatoes simmer for about 8 minutes.

While the potatoes are cooking, you can prepare the herb mixture. Feel free to use whatever you want. I use an herbed garlic salt and rosemary. I combine them in my mortar bowl,



then I go to town crushing it with the pestle. When the potatoes are fork-tender but not mushy, drain them then return them to the saucepan. Drizzle with olive oil



then stir well to coat all the potatoes. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet, then sprinkle with your herb mixture.



Roast at 425 for about 20-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.



See that beautiful color - you can just tell there's going to be a delicious crunchy shell!

If you need to roast these at a higher or lower temperature to match meat that you're roasting, that's ok. It will just take more or less time, depending. These potatoes go well with any kind of meat, but I especially like them with grilled rubbed pork tenderloin, grilled steak and chicken kebabs.

There are more great recipes at Seasonal Sunday, Mouthwatering Monday, Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table and Tasty Tuesday.

4 comments:

  1. I've got some lovely rosemary growing in my vegetable garden and I'm looking forward to using it in your recipe. It sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thos look sooo good & I'm trying my hand at growing herbs this yr. not sure what to do with them but gonna grow them anyway LOL
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I love rosemary potatoes, and these look so easy!!

    Katie P
    Food, Wine, & Mod Podge

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound super easy and delish! I love using rosemary, although I've never grown any. I usually just use dried.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.