Monday, June 28, 2010

Rhubarb Blueberry Muffins



I love rhubarb and was so glad to be the recipient of some from my mother in law's garden bounty!



I adapted this recipe from one I found years ago to make it with all whole grains - so now it's as nutritious as it is delicious!

Start by chopping the rhubarb - I washed it, then cut off the ends.



Then I cut them into chunks and stacked them "standing" in my food processor with the slicing blade attached.



That made quick work of the slicing!

For the batter, cream together the butter and sugar, then blend in the egg and the yogurt.



This recipe originally called for sour cream, but I use Greek yogurt instead - it has great nutritional value including tons of protein! I used blueberry since I had that flavor but you could use plain as well.

In a small bowl, combine the flour, oatmeal,



baking powder and salt. Mix together with a spoon and then add to the batter alternately with the milk.



Fold in the rhubarb,



then the blueberries.



Fill paper-lined muffin cups with the batter and bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes in the pans before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Get more inspiration at Muffin Monday, Mouthwatering Mondays, Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table and Tasty Tuesdays, Ingredient Spotlight.

Rhubarb Blueberry Muffins

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1-6 oz. container Greek yogurt (blueberry or plain)
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup quick oats
4 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. salt
2/3 cup milk
2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
2 cups chopped rhubarb (fresh or frozen)

Cream together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs and yogurt and mix until well combined. In a small bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking powder and salt. Stir this into the batter alternatively with the milk. Fold in the blueberries and the rhubarb.

Fill paper-lined or greased muffin cups 3/4 full with the batter and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick tester comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.

5 comments:

  1. Sara, Those look really good. I really enjoy your food photography, Sara.
    I was wondering if you would like to do a guest post for my blog, Food As Art.

    http://foodasart-beth.blogspot.com

    You can e-mail me at BethieLauren@gmail.com
    Sincerely, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just love rhubarb, these sound delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for linking your yummy recipe up at Muffin Monday! Hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have made this recipe 2 times. Today I reduced the sugar to 3/4 cup and added 2 tbs brown sugar to the rhubarb while it was resting. I also reduced the flour to 2 cups and increased the oatmeal to 1 cup. Sprinkles with cinnamon sugar and placed in a 350 oven. I guessed at the oven temp as none was listed. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.