Thursday, June 17, 2010

Cherry Chicken Salad



I love things with cherries. Or cherries by themselves. And dried cherries are especially yummy, so I was intrigued when I found this recipe. The original recipe calls for serving the chicken salad on croissants. I'm trying to make healthy choices (ahem) so I served it on wheat rolls. It would also be delicious on a bed of baby spinach or other micro greens, and I'm sure it would be fabulous on croissants! So you have lots of options. Know what else would be good? This salad spooned into a canteloupe half - the possibilities are virtually endless.

You can leave the dried cherries whole if you want; I chopped them up slightly so that there would be more of them distributed through the salad.



Then chop up the green onions and celery.



For the dressing, combine the mayo and buttermilk in small bowl,



and season with salt and pepper.

To assemble the salad, in a large bowl, combine the chicken, celery, onions, cherries and the dressing, and stir well to coat.



Right before serving, add the chopped apples.



Stir well again, then spoon mixture onto buns or greens to serve.

Find more goodness at Cooking Thursday, Food on Friday, Foodie Friday, and Friday Food.

Cherry Chicken Salad

2 1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
2/3 cup dried cherries
1/3 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1/2 cup chopped tart apple
1/2 cup mayonnaise (light is ok)
4 tsp. buttermilk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
6 wheat rolls or croissants, split OR salad greens

In a large bowl, combine the chicken, cherries, celery and onion. In a small measuring cup or bowl, combine mayo, milk, salt and pepper. Add dressing to chicken mixture and stir well to coat. Right before serving, add chopped apple and stir again. Serve on rolls or salad greens. Serves 6.

5 comments:

  1. I always liked chicken salad with dried cranberries. So I am sure that I would love this chicken salad with dried cherry! It looks so good and easy to make. This will be a perfect sandwich to bring to the beach :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just happened upon your blog. Love your recipes.
    http://moogieland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM...I use dried cranberries in chicken salad a lot, I don't know why I hadn't thought of dried cherries! Thanks for sharing, Sara :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use the cranberries and never even thought of using the cherries. Good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks wonderful! We love cherries too -- have you tried ordering dried cherries directly from Cherry Central? They are the cheapest and best cherries I have found!!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.