Friday, January 8, 2010

Strawberry Banana Bread



By now you have figured out that I love all things breakfast bread-related. So I'm always looking for new recipes for muffins or bread, especially those that help to use up my freezer stash of bananas! I also have a small freezer stash of strawberries so I was excited to come across this recipe, and I was delighted at how moist and delicious these were. I brought them to work this morning and they got rave reviews.

I made these in my mini bread pan, but it also works in a regular loaf pan or in a muffin tin. The recipe can easily be doubled, also. Here's another tip: I think it would work well, and be healthier, to replace 1/2 the oil with applesauce. I didn't have any, but will try it next time.

Start by combining the eggs, sugar



orange zest, oil, vanilla, bananas



and strawberries.



Beat this mixture for about two minutes or until well combined.



(How do you like these action shots? Found a new setting on my camera and am loving how it captures my "cooking action!")

In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Add this gradually to the batter



and beat just until combined. Pour into a greased loaf pan, or 12 muffin tins, or mini loaf pans.



Bake for about 20-25 minutes for muffins or mini loaves and about 45 for a full loaf. Remove to a wire rack to cool.



Get more great recipes at Foodie Friday, Food on Fridays, Friday Food, What did you bake today?, Seasonal Sunday.

Strawberry Banana Bread

2 eggs
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup mashed strawberries
3/4 cup mashed banana
2 tsp. orange zest
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg

In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, strawberries, banana, zest, vanilla and oil. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for two minutes. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Gradually add the flour mixture to the batter, beating just until combined.

Pour batter into a greased loaf pan, 12 muffin tins, or mini loaf pans. Bake at 350; 20-25 minutes for muffins or mini loaves and 45 minutes for a full sized loaf pan. Bread is done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Serves 12.

14 comments:

  1. Like the combo of the flavors. I am in love with my mini bake pans. Did you freeze these and if so for how long? I would like to make them and freeze them for next month but I find some times my banana recipes get sort of mushy in the freezer.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE those mini loaf pans. Too cute! This looks like something really yummy that would start the day right. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made a strawberry bread w/o the bananas and we loved it! I love the way it looks in the mini loaves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all your bread recipes! Strawberry banana bread sounds so appetizing right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sara, these look absolutely delicious. I love the strawberry banana combination. Thanks for sharing your recipe with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I make strawberry bread and I make banana bread, but I never thought of combining those obviously-delicious-together flavors. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joyce, I didn't freeze these - they didn't last long enough - but I freeze other banana stuff regularly and have never had a problem with it turning mushy. Do you think it might not be baked long enough, so then it gets mushy in the freezer? That would be my guess...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Breakfast bread is calling my name! I love your action photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, awesome. Never thought of adding mashed strawberries like mashed bananas to a breakfast bread. Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your recipes. This one should be a hit with my family. I will wait until the grandkids come. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.