Monday, January 25, 2010

Baba Ghanoush



This is my favorite appetizer at Middle Eastern restaurants, so I was excited to try my hand at it, using my food processor. This is very easy to make, and is a great dip for parties or a mid afternoon snack. It also can be used as a spread on sandwiches.

Start by cutting the top and bottom ends from an eggplant, then cut it in half lengthwise. Next, score the flesh side with a fork by just dragging the fork through the white flesh for the width of the eggplant.



Place the eggplant flesh side down on a baking sheet coated with non stick spray,



then bake for 30 minutes or until eggplant is softened.



Let cool, then scrape the flesh into a food processor bowl. It should separate from the purple peel quite easily.



Add the balsamic vinegar, garlic,



olive oil, salt and pepper and tahini to the bowl. (Tahini is sesame seed paste and can usually be found near the peanut butter in large supermarkets. After you've opened it, store it in the refrigerator.)



Process until the mixture is smooth.



Serve the dip with pita, pita chips or vegetables; and store any leftovers in the refrigerator.

There are more ideas at Mouthwatering Mondays, Cooking with Chaya, Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table and Tasty Tuesday, Ingredient Spotlight.

Baba Ghanoush

1 medium eggplant, about 1 pound
1/2 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
3 Tbsp. tahini

pita bread, pita chips, crudite for dipping

Cut eggplant in half lengthwise and score flesh side with a fork. Place flesh side down on a greased baking sheet and bake at 375 for 30 minutes or until soft. Cool.

Scrape eggplant flesh into a bowl of a food processor and add garlic, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper and tahini. Process until smooth. Serve with pita bread, pita chips and/or crudite. Refrigerate leftovers. Makes 1 1/2 cups.

4 comments:

  1. That looks delicious. I have only seen Baba Ghanoush made by roasting and charring the skin of the whole eggplant, giving the whole dip a little extra smokey flavor. I like the balance of flavors you exhibit, with the garlic, balsamic, and tahini.

    www.kellikolz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love this stuff and now it'll be nice to not have to pay $5 for a tiny bucket at the grocery when I can make my own at home. Thanks for the awesome recipe. I'm gonna try it out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I have never had this. Thanks for linking your post to TMTT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been looking for a recipe for a bit. I was ecstatic when I stumbled on yours. I'm pinning this, and may cook it in a week or two.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.