Monday, July 27, 2009

Shrimp and Vegetable Stir Fry


I've had this recipe in my binder for several years now, and I'm so glad I finally tried it. I changed the vegetable combination quite a bit - this is another recipe that allows for experimentation! This dish reminds me a lot of one of my favorite dishes at a Chinese restaurant I visit once in a while. And now I can make it at home anytime.

Stir fry dishes come together very quickly so it's important to have everything ready to go before you actually start cooking.

First, chop the vegetables that you'll be using. You need 5-6 cups of vegetables for this dish. I used asparagus, sliced portabello mushrooms and orange pepper. I think broccoli, carrots and snap peas would be really good too.



Chop the green onions and add those to the vegetables.

Season the shrimp with salt and pepper.



Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. When the oil is hot, add the shrimp, and stir fry for about 2 minutes until they turn pink. Remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl.



Add the vegetables to the liquid in the pan and stir fry for a few minutes. Add 1/4 cup of chicken broth and the garlic and continue stirring for two to three more minutes, until vegetables are tender.



Dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining broth and add it to the pan.



Stir constantly until the sauce thickens a bit. Add the soy sauce and stir. Then add the shrimp and stir until the shrimp are heated through.



Serve over rice or rice noodles.

There are more great recipes at Mouthwatering Mondays, Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table and Healthy Helpings.

Shrimp and Vegetable Stir Fry

1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 Tbsp. olive or canola oil
5-6 cups chopped vegetables such as broccoli, asparagus, carrots, peppers, mushrooms, snap peas
3/4 cup sliced green onions
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 tsp. soy sauce, or to taste
2 tsp. cornstarch

Sprinkle shrimp with salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, stir fry shrimp in hot oil for two minutes until shrimp turn pink. Remove with a slotten spoon and keep warm.

In the same pan, stir fry the vegetables for 3 minutes. Add garlic and 1/4 cup chicken broth and stir fry for two to three minutes, until vegetables are tender.

Dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining broth and add to the vegetables. Stir until mixture thickens. Add the soy sauce and the shrimp and stir until heated through.

Serve over rice or rice noodles. Serves 4.

8 comments:

  1. DREAT!!! recipe, I like to make stir-fry. This is different then my recipe. I will try your recipe next time. Geri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love stir fried dishes, and this one looks delicious!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! I love to use shrimp in stir fries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks wonderful! Great recipe for summer. Doesn't look like a heavy dish. Thanks for linking to TMTT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, looks great. I've been craving shrimp lately.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shrimp is great in stir-fry! Thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean about the binder. Mine is bursting with ideas yet to try. This week I did White Sangria. Hope you'll link up over at Momtrends Friday Feasts:

    http://momtrends.blogspot.com/2009/07/fridays-feasts-white-sangria.html

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.