Friday, July 31, 2009

Fruit Crisp



When I made this for my sister, she literally licked the bowl clean. I'm not making that up, and she would not deny it. It's SOOO good. This recipe is the main reason that I pick blueberries every summer, so that I have them to make this year-round!

Like the trifle, this is extremely versatile. My favorite combination is peach and blueberry, but I also really like pear and raspberry, and in the winter I often make apple and cranberry. Once you get the "bones" of this recipe down, you can alter it easily based on what's on hand and what's in season.

I love that this dirties only two dishes - the one you bake it in, and one prep dish. And it halves easily - I often make half this recipe in a 9" square dish.

Start with the fruit - chop whatever you need to, and place it in a 9x13 baking dish, or similar 2-3 quart dish. (like pyrex, etc.) You need about 6 cups of fruit total.



Sprinkle with sugar and cornstarch, and then add the lemon juice.



Stir this well to distribute all the elements.

Next, make the topping. Combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and oatmeal in a small mixing bowl.



Cut the cold butter into chunks, and add it to the dry ingredients.



Now, use your fingers to incorporate the butter and the dry ingredients, just like making shortcake. At first, it will seem like this is never going to work - or that it will take forever. But it only takes a few minutes. The result will be crumbs like this:



Top the fruit with this crumb mixture.



Bake for 40-45 minutes til the topping is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.



Serve warm with ice cream.

Get more inspiration at Foodie Friday, Family Recipe Friday, Food on Fridays, Favorite Ingredient Friday, Friday Feasts, Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday and Tuesdays at the Table.

Fruit Crisp

6 cups chopped fruit (peaches, plums, pears, blueberries, raspberries etc)
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
5 Tbsp. cold butter, cut into small chunks

Place the fruit in a 9x13 baking dish, or other 2-3 qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with sugar and cornstarch. Add lemon juice and stir well to combine.

In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, oatmeal, brown sugar and cinnamon. Using fingers, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle topping over fruit.

Bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes or until top is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Let cool for 1/2 hour. Serve warm with ice cream. Serves 8-10.

12 comments:

  1. This looks great! I'll have to give it a try. Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds and look delish. You can use any of your favorite fruits in this recipe. THANKS!!! Geri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that I can make this with the fruit I have on hand. It sounds delicious and I think it would taste awesome in a Dutch Oven out camping! I will put this on the suggested menu for next months trip. Now hopefully it gets chosen as a dessert we make!! If not then, then another time for sure.

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you will join me at Diningwithdebbie.blogspot.com for Crock Pot Wednesdays. The details for that and the Mister Linky are already posted. The first giveaway item has been announced and you can expect the additional ones over the next few days. The date of the first event is August 5. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! Does this ever look delicious! That certainly would be worth picking the blueberries for! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yum. I think I want to make every Family Recipe Friday recipe this week. I would LOVE this and so would my DH.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds great. I copied the recipe and will try. Looks pretty and I love things that you serve warm with ice cream!!! : ))

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks delicious to me! I'd enjoy it with yogurt for an afternoon snack :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm making this tonight, after I pick up peaches from the store! We just got back from Michigan with three huge boxes of fresh-picked blueberries! I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, this looks heavenly! I will be trying it in the very near future! :) Thanks for sharing!

    I hope you'll join me again this Friday for another Favorite Ingredients Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.