Monday, June 16, 2014

Creamy Chicken and Asparagus Pasta


Two things I love: using seasonal ingredients and using as few pans as possible when making dinner. This meal makes me so happy cause it takes advantage of both! When I saw this recipe for Creamy Chicken and Asparagus Pasta on Jamie's blog, Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom, I knew it would be perfect for this month's Secret Recipe Club. I love the crunch of the asparagus against the creaminess of the pasta and the chewiness (in a good way!) of the chicken. Jamie didn't have mushrooms in her dish, but I added them, cause I think they make everything better! (You could, of course, leave out.) This dish reminded me a lot of one of my other favorite summer dishes, chicken and zucchini with pasta. But I love asparagus, even more than zucchini, so I'm so glad to have found this recipe. It will become a regular part of the dinner rotation at my house. Thanks, Jamie!

Start by cooking the pasta in a large pot of salted, boiling water until al dente.

As the pasta is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add in the asparagus, mushrooms and minced garlic


and saute for about 3 to 4 minutes. Add onion powder, garlic powder, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes to the skillet.


Saute another 2 minutes. Toss in the cooked chicken.


Combine the broth, milk, cream cheese


and half of the Parmesan, then add it to the skillet


and stir until well combined and the cream cheese is melted and smooth.

Drain the pasta, then add it to the skillet,


and stir until all the pasta is coated. Top with additional Parmesan, and serve hot!


Happy seasonal, minimal pot usage, cooking!


One year ago: Raspberry Crumb Bars
Two years ago: Whole Wheat Blueberry Donuts
Three years ago: Berrymisu
Four years ago: Blueberry Ice Cream Tart
Five years ago: Oriental Coleslaw

Find more great ideas at Mouthwatering Mondays, Inspiration Monday, Mix it Up, Melt in Your Mouth, Recipe Sharing, Totally Talented, Create Link inspire, Clever Chicks, Try a New Recipe, Share Your Stuff, Tasty Tuesday, Happily Homemade, Cast Party, What's Cooking, What's Cooking 2, The Yuck Stops Here.

Creamy Chicken and Asparagus Pasta

8 oz small to medium pasta shapes
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch segments
4 oz. fresh mushrooms, chopped
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 cup chicken broth
4 oz. cream cheese (light is ok)
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan Cheese

Cook pasta in a large pot of salted, boiling water until al dente.

As the pasta is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. Saute the asparagus, mushrooms and minced garlic for about 3 to 4 minutes. Add onion powder, garlic powder, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes to the skillet. Saute another 2 minutes. Toss in the cooked chicken.

Add the broth, milk, cream cheese and half of the Parmesan to the skillet and stir until well combined and the cream cheese is melted and smooth.

Drain the pasta, then add it to the skillet, and stir until all the pasta is coated. Top with additional Parmesan, and serve hot!

Serves 6-8.



7 comments:

  1. I love pasta in any way, shape or form:) Great recipe and great SRC pick~ Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pasta looks amazing!! Found your recipe at Tasty Tuesday (New Mrs. Adventures).  I am one of the hostesses of Tickle My Tastebuds and would love you to stop by and link up this recipe if you have not yet already. Here is the link
    http://bit.ly/1lNY6hK
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's see. Mushrooms. Asparagus. Pasta. How can one ever go wrong with that combo. YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so my kind of comfort food dish this time of year especially since I've been getting mushrooms and asparagus in my CSA shares - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the craziest pasta shape - never seen that one before! What a yummy, comforting meal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pasta!! I especially love asparagus. One of my favorite vegetables. Thanks for sharing it on The Yuck Stops Here. I do hope you will link up a recipe with us next week! Chrystal @ YUMeating.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so good. I love both pasta and asparagus! :-) Thanks for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I hope you can join us again this week. http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2014/06/try-new-recipe-tuesday-june-24.html

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.