Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Blackberry Pie Bars


I mentioned earlier how much I've been enjoying blackberries this year. When I saw the recipe for these beautiful bars, I knew they would be delicious. Anytime you combine a shortbread crust with creamy lemon filling, fresh berries and streusel, the results will be outstanding. I can't wait to make - and eat - these again soon!

Start by making the crust. I loved using my food processor for this, but you can mix it by hand if you don't have a processor. In the bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and lemon zest.


Pulse a couple times to blend. Then add the cut up butter


and process in short pulses until the mixture is crumbly.

Set aside 3/4 cup of the crumb mixture for the topping. Then add the rest of it to a foil-lined 9-inch baking pan and press to form an even layer of crust.


Bake for 12-15 minutes, until light golden. While it cools for 10 minutes, you can make the filling.

In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, sour cream,


flour, salt, lemon juice and vanilla.


Whisk until smooth then gently stir in the blackberries.


Pour the filling over the crust,


then top with the remaining flour/butter mixture.


Bake for about 45 minutes or until the bars are golden. Cool on a wire rack, and then chill for a few hours to help the bars firm up before you cut and serve them.


One year ago: White Chocolate Macadamia Blondies
Two years ago: Creamy Avocado and Shrimp Wontons
Three years ago: Rosemary Roasted New Potatoes
Four years ago: Chocolate Cherry Cake

Find more great stuff at Hearth and Soul, Cast Party, What's Cooking Wednesday, Wednesday Extravaganza, Wicked Good Wednesday, What's Cooking Wednesday (#2), Full Plate Thursday, Thursday's Treasures, Foodie Friday, Food on Friday, Foodie Friday (#2), Friday Flash Blog, TGIF, BBQ Block Party.

Blackberry Pie Bars

Crust and topping:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
Zest of half a lemon
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into chunks

Filling:
2 eggs
1 cups sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
6 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
Juice of half a lemon
1 tsp. vanilla
2 - 6 oz. packages fresh blackberries

In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, salt and lemon zest. Pulse briefly to blend. Add the butter into the dry ingredients and process in short pulses until the mixture is crumbly.

Reserve 3/4 cup of the mixture for the topping. Add the rest of the mixture to a foil-lined 9-inch baking pan and press to form an even layer of crust. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes, until light golden. Let cool 10-15 minutes.

In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, sour cream, flour, salt, lemon juice and vanilla. Whisk until smooth. Gently stir in the blackberries. Spread the filling mixture over the pre-baked crust in the baking pan. Evenly crumble the reserved topping mixture over the filling.

Bake until the top is beginning to brown and the bars are just set, about 45 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Chill to firm up before slicing and serving. Makes 16 bars.

Recipe Source: Adapted from Annie's Eats

12 comments:

  1. These look amazing!!! I have all sorts of berries froze from last summer that need to be used up, so I'll have to try this! :-) Thanks for sharing!

    Visiting from What's Cooking Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you think this looks like the perfect dessert for a new Mom? I'm taking dinner to a vegetarian gal. I'm veggie lasagne, foccacia bread and these bars. Good meal?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Thanks for sharing the recipe, these look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great and I copied your recipe. I love short bread cookies, and this one is unique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look absolutely delicious. I love blackberries and usually make pies with them but cannot wait to try your recipe. In fact, I am taking my blackberries out of the freezer and trying them tonight. Stopping by via Full Plate Thursday and followed your site. Would love to have you share these on our BBQ Block Party which is going on right now.

    Easy Life Meal & Party Planning @ http://www.easylifemealandpartyplanning.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came over from Miz Helen's to spread a little blog love. I love blackberries and this looks like an ideal way to use them. I make pb&j bars with homemade strawberry jam this week. They were so good I surprised myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love blackberries, they bring such a unique dimension to baked goods -- Yum. Thanks for sharing on Hearth & Soul Hop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love blackberry everything and these bars look fabulous! Thanks for linking up with What's Cookin' Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks fantastic, thank you for sharing this recipe on BBQ Block Party.
    Hope to See You Next Week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for sharing your great recipe with Full Plate Thursday and have a wonderful week.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haven't seen you at foodie friday in while, welcome back. My daughter loves blackberries and I don't think I've ever baked with them... thank you so much for sharing your bars with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for sharing at A Peek Into My Paradise TGIF Link Party! I can't wait to see what you link up next week! I hope to see you at the (Not SO) Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop! http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/
    Have a terrific week!
    Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.