Monday, March 4, 2024

Rigatoni Alfredo with Chicken and Kale

 



We love pasta at our house, and I especially love it when it can be loaded with veggies. I also especially love it when it can be made in ONE POT. This is both.



This also fits my weeknight trifecta: delicious, easy, fast. AND it's "fancy" enough to serve to company, too - just add a green salad and some sort of garlicky carb, and you've got a great dinner. (Chocolate lava cakes for dessert, anyone?)




Kale is a veg that is so good for you, but I have to admit it's not my favorite. So when it can get chopped up and then wilted in a dish like this, it's a lot easier to take.



Since I last made this, I've actually figured out that I can tolerate kale a lot better if I chop it super fine in my food processor - here I've just roughly chopped it by hand, which was ok because of the wilting factor. But that's a tip I gladly share with you for salads or other raw appearances of kale - mince it up in the chopper, and it's WAY better!



However you choose to deal with the kale, this is a delicious dish that won hearty approval from everyone around the table - young adults PLUS their friends. So that's a major win in my book.




  • Rigatoni Alfredo with Chicken and Kale
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 3 small chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds), diced
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 8 ounces rigatoni
  • 2/3 cup chicken broth
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 3-4 ounces kale, chopped
  • 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan

  • Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 6-7 minutes, turning after the first 2 or 4, until browned and cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside.
  • Add the chopped onions to the skillet and cook over medium heat until they turn translucent; then add the garlic and cook and stir for 30 seconds. Add in the pasta, milk, and broth. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to medium low and cook for about 10 minutes at a light simmer.  
  • When the pasta is al dente, stir in the cream and the Parmesan, leaving a little cheese for garnish. Add the kale, stir, and cover again and let the kale wilt for 2-3 minutes. Add in the chicken and stir to distribute it through the dish, letting the chicken warm back up. 
  • Sprinkle with pepper, parsley and Parmesan before serving. Serves 6.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.