Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Chess Pie




When I found myself with extra buttermilk last month, I googled around for a few ideas. Chess Pie was one, and since I had never heard of it or made it before, I decided to try it. I'm glad I did! I love custardy desserts, and this one had just the right amount of sweet. The sugar on top carmelizes to make a nice crunch which is an added bonus!




Although I still haven't fulfilled a resolution (many years old now) to learn how to make pie crust, in this case, it worked to my advantage! For this pie, you want a cold crust so that the filling and crust bake together. The cold crust helps the filling bake more slowly. This is a perfect recipe for a frozen ready made crust! 




The only other "secret" to making this easy pie is to let it cool completely. This allows the custard to fully set up. I even refrigerated it for a few hours after it was cool. If it's not too hot to have the oven on where you live, I recommend this is a nice summer dessert. It would be especially nice with some berries on the side. 

And if it is too hot, just save this recipe for later!  :)

Chess Pie

1 - 9 inch pie crust
4 eggs
1 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. flour
2 Tbsp. cornmeal
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
4 Tbsp. butter, melted and cooled
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. brown sugar

Place the eggs, sugar, flour, and cornmeal in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add the buttermilk, butter, vanilla, and salt and whisk until smooth, about 1 minute.

Place the prepared pie crust on a baking sheet. Pull out the oven rack halfway and place the baking sheet on it. Pour the filling into the crust. Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the top Slide the oven rack back into place.

Bake at 350 until the center of the pie is barely set in the center, reaches 200°F, and a toothpick or knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes total.

Let cool for 3-4 hours on a wire rack, then wrap in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator. Serves 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.