Monday, September 19, 2016

Sunshine Soup


This month for Secret Recipe Club, I had a recipe all picked out. Then I got a cold. I don't know about you, but whenever I get sick, all I want to eat is soup. So I was really excited to find this Sunshine Soup on My Wholefood Family. This blog is by Susan, an Australian, who cooks food with no waste, no fuss and on a budget - "just like our grandmothers."

Now, let's talk about this soup. Doesn't the name just make you feel better? Sunshine Soup! If it doesn't, eating the soup itself is sure to get you on the road to health. Packed with nutrient rich carrots, sweet potatoes and pumpkin, it is the perfect soup for fall, even if you're not sick! Pumpkins are, as far as I know, much more readily available in Australia, so I subbed a can of pureed pumpkin. I also added onion for a little more depth of flavor.


We enjoyed this soup so much. Thanks for a great recipe, Susan!


Sunshine Soup (Carrot, Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Soup)

2 Tbsp. butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 large carrots, diced small
2 medium sweet potatoes, diced small
1 15-oz. can pureed pumpkin
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. turmeric
4 cups vegetable or chicken stock

In a Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and stir until onion for 2 minutes. Add the carrot and sweet potato and saute until onion is softened, about 2 minutes. Add the ginger and turmeric and stir well. Pour in the broth and the pumpkin. Bring to the boil then simmer for 20 minutes or until veggies are tender. Using an immersion blender, process the soup until smooth. Serves 4.



8 comments:

  1. what a great soup! all my favorite flavors. :) hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would definitely be the perfect soup to make you feel better. MMM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. easy and flavorful... looks so good...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about colds and soup! This looks yummy! I hope you feel better! Great SRC choice

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! It's definitely the perfect thing when you're feeling under the weather :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a wonderful soup! Perfect for the fall season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great soup! I hope you're feeling better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pinning this for sure...what a great fall dish

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.