Monday, July 22, 2013

Mango-Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon Vinaigrette


It's been quite a heat wave in many parts of the nation for the last few weeks, and it's no exception where I live. We're especially known for the cold, but in the summer, it can really heat up. In times like this, I love to find recipes that don't need the oven or require too much slaving over a hot stove. Plus, the hot weather inspires me to eat more lightly - and this delicious salad certainly fits the bill. As soon as I saw it on Kate's blog, I knew it would be my choice for this month's Secret Recipe Club.

There is so much I love about this salad - I could just go on and on. The different flavors, textures, colors - it all works together to create an amazingly delicious and beautiful meal.

Start by cooking the bacon. It's easiest to cut it into pieces first - it will cook more quickly.


When the bacon is crisp, remove it to a paper-towel lined plate, and then drain off all the fat except about one tablespoon. You will use the yummy bacon grease to fry the onion! Return the pan to medium heat then add the onion.


Cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until the onion is very soft. Then add the red wine vinegar,


lime juice and honey.


Reduce the heat to low and stir until everything is well combined. Divide the spinach among two dinner plates and top with the bacon,


mango, the onions and dressing,


and finally the feta.


Stay cool! And eat more salad!


One year ago: Double Chocolate Caramel Brownies
Two years ago: Strawberry White Chocolate Ice Cream
Three years ago: Rhubarb Berry Cheesecake Pie
Four years ago: Chicken Fajitas

Get more great ideas at Inspiration Monday, Mix it Up Monday, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Recipe Sharing Monday, Tasty Tuesday, Totally Tasty Tuesdays, Tasteful Tuesdays, Tuesday Talent Show, Clever Chicks, Share a New Recipe, Share Your Stuff.

Mango-Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon Vinaigrette

4 thick slices bacon, diced
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. lime juice
1 Tbsp. honey
4 cups fresh baby spinach
1 cup diced mango
2 Tbsp. crumbled mild feta

Brown the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat. When crisp, remove to a paper towel lined plate and drain all but a tablespoon of the fat. Return the skillet to the heat and add the onion, cooking and stirring until the onion is soft, about 4-5 minutes. Pour into the skillet the red wine vinegar, lime juice and honey. Stir well and keep warm.

To assemble salads, place 2 cups of spinach on each plate. Top with the mango, then the bacon, onion and dressing mixture and finally the cheese. Serves 2.





12 comments:

  1. Great pictures and such a beautiful salad!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Kate's blog and all of her and Connie's culinary adventures. This dressing sounds too good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love bacon vinaigrette! Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh, I do love that salad! Thank you for the fabulous post, Sara :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll take this salad any day...you had me at all that glorious bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious- love the incorporation of mangos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had me at mango. Then I read bacon and I was done! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I've ever eaten mango in a salad - I don't like to eat them much, but I do love them in smoothies! The salad actually looks very yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mango and Bacon. You can't go wrong with those two! This looks so good. I cannot wait to try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bacon salad dressing?! I must try this :) Looks like a great summer salad!
    Thanks for sharing at Share Your Stuff Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - love all the flavors and ingredients you have going on here (and if I see bacon salad dressing, I'm making it!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so good! I know we will love it. Thanks for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I am featuring this recipe this week! Congratulations! :-) Be sure to stop by and grab an "I've been featured" button from my sidebar for your blog. The post should go live around 11pm Eastern on Monday. I hope you will be able to join us again this week. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.