Monday, April 30, 2012

Portobello Pesto Pizza


I came up with this super delicious pizza cause I wanted a version similar to one I used to get at a favorite pizza joint. And it worked. A memory is good thing! This pizza is loaded with mushrooms, roasted red pepper, pesto and goat cheese over a bed of marinara and mozzarella. Deliciousness. Make one today - you won't be sorry! Start by preparing your favorite pizza crust - you can make one from scratch, use a store bought, whatever works best. Heat a skillet over medium heat and coat with a bit of olive oil. Add the garlic and the sliced mushrooms,


and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender and fragrant. Spread the marinara evenly over the crust and top with the mozzarella.


You can use shredded or sliced - I used sliced cause I had it on hand. Top the cheese with the mushrooms and the roasted red pepper.



Now spoon dollops of pesto over the pizza - about 1/2 teaspoon at a time.




And finally, sprinkle goat cheese, or queso fresco, whichever you prefer, randomly over the top.




Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and the crust is golden. It will be hard to wait. Just thought I'd warn you. But it will be worth it.



One year ago: Mediterranean Shrimp and Pasta
Two years ago: Pear Cake with Pine Nuts
Three years ago: Beef Stroganoff

Find more inspiration at Mangia Mondays, Menu Monday, My Meatless Monday, Midnight Maniac Meatless Monday, Mop it up Monday, Seasonal Inspiration, Mix it up Monday, Melt in your Mouth Monday, the Sweet Spot Recipe Party, Tasty Tuesday, Tuesday at the Table, Tasty Tuesday (#2), Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, Totally Tasty Tuesdays, Tasty Tuesday (#3), A Little Birdie Told Me, Tuesday Talent Show, Hearth and Soul, Cast Party Wednesday, What's Cooking Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Foodie Friday.

Portobello Pesto Pizza

One pizza crust for large pizza
1 tsp. olive oil
4 oz. baby bella mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 cup marinara sauce
8 oz. mozzarella cheese
1/2 of a large roasted red pepper, sliced
1/4 cup basil pesto
2 oz. crumbled goat cheese or queso fresco

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. Saute garlic and mushrooms for 2-3 minutes until mushrooms are tender and fragrant. Spread marinara sauce over pizza crust. Top with mozzarella, then mushrooms and peppers. Dollop pesto over the top, and then crumble goat cheese over the entire pizza. Bake at 425 for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and crust is golden. Serves 4.

10 comments:

  1. Oh my word. This looks divine. I'm obsessed with mushrooms - and mixed with mozzarella and pesto? This is a dream come true! Thanks for sharing this with the bloggy world, Sara!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. I know what I'm having for supper tonight!
    Thanks, Dorothy~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks divine! My husband would go crazy for this... Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious portobello pesto pizza. You have given a new dimension to it. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and Soul blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful pizza! I love all the flavours you have used, and the lovely fresh mushrooms and peppers too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm promoting Mediterranean Diet Month on my blog and I would love it if you would share this healthy pizza today on my foodie friday party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pizza sounds so wonderful! I'm thrilled to be featuring it on tomorrow's "A Little Birdie Told Me..." at Rook No. 17!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so much yummy & different pizza!! love it.

    portobello pizza

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen so many delicious versions of this cauliflower crust, I really do need to try it eventually! This looks just perfect - a wonderful twist on a classic Pizza

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.