Thursday, June 18, 2009

Frosty Coffee Pie



This pie was a finalist in the 2009 Great American Pie Show. After making this and tasting this, I'm not quite sure WHY it didn't win first place. But now I have more pies to try! I guess I better get going on learning to make my own pie crust or I'll be keeping Pillsbury in business!

This pie has a chocolate crust. You can buy one pre-made. Or make your own. I make my own using one row of Oreos (about 18) and 1 Tbsp. melted butter. Pat the crust into a 9 inch pie pan, and then drizzle with hot fudge sauce. Mmm, don't you love this pie already?



In a mixing bowl, beat together the ice cream, pudding mix, coffee and milk until blended. (A good way to soften the ice cream is by thawing it in the refrigerator for about 1/2 hour.) If you don't like coffee ice cream, just use chocolate!



Pour this mixture into the chocolate crust.



Freeze this for about 1/2 hour. (The original recipe didn't call for this step, but I think it would be difficult to spread the topping onto this layer if it's not partially frozen.)

Next, combine the whipped topping and the marshmallow creme. Mr. or Ms. Inventor of the Marshmallow Creme, I salute you! What a great invention. I must immediately find more recipes calling for marshmallow creme!



Spread this divine mixture over the frozen chocolate layer.



Sprinkle with the mini chocolate chips. Those things are so cute! If you don't have minis, DO NOT purchase them for this recipe, since you only need a handful. You could grate some semi-sweet chocolate on top, or make curls, or use chopped regular chips. There are lots of options!



Freeze until firm. I froze this for several hours before covering it with cling wrap.

Now, off to plan for more pies!

There are more summer dessert ideas at the Ultimate Recipe Swap. And lots more inspiration can be found at Tasty Thursday, Food on Fridays, Favorite Ingredient Fridays, Chocolate Fridays and Foodie Fridays.

Frosty Coffee Pie

1/4 cup hot fudge sundae topping, warmed
1 9-inch chocolate crust
3 cups coffee ice cream, softened
1 5.9 oz. package instant chocolate pudding
1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
1/4 cup cold milk
1 3/4 cups whipped topping
1 cup marshmallow creme
1/4 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips

Spread ice cream topping over crust. In a large bowl, beat the ice cream, pudding mix, coffee and milk until blended. Pour into crust. Freeze for at least 1/2 hour to allow coffee layer to firm up.

In another bowl, combine the whipped topping and marshmallow creme; spread over top. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Return to the freezer for several hours to firm up before covering with foil or cling wrap. Serves 8.

23 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! I can't wait to see your pie crust recipe. I have struggled to find a thick, hardy pie crust. All of the ones I made are thin...and I like thick! Please post on my blog if you find one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love a no bake pie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a no bake pie too, especially if it comes with caffiene and chocolate! YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds really yummy!! And it's nice to have a cold dessert recipe. How I wish I could sample it right through your blog - LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Easy and yummmy, what else could you ask for in a pie?

    ReplyDelete
  6. O Good Grief !! This sounds so good I can't stand it. I love coffee ice cream so I know this is GREAT..Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's odd. I don't like coffee, but love cold coffee drinks and coffee flavored desserts! I will certainly try this! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks and sounds wonderful. To have it be so easy to make is an added benefit. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhh Dear...Coffe is one of my favorite things (as I read your blog with my Starbucks at my side) This is sinful....will make this for sure! Thanks looks delish.
    http://athousandblooms.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. How decadent and easy! Combines two of my favorite things too - chocolate and coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my dh would love that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ~Delicious sounding!
    We love coffee flavored foods. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am not a coffee drinker..but this sounds really good! Happy Foodie Friday! Have a great weekend ~ Susan

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like Coffee anyway I can get it,lol. A coffee pie sound good to me..My Chocolate Fountain is up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Coffee, chocolate and ice cream. Is there anything better than this? I think not.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, my hub might like this. I'm not fond of coffee flavor in things other than coffee, but it may be because I'm a tea girl. Thanks for the recipe, though, because it is fun to have something different on hand, especially something that looks like a great summertime dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! You are now my best friend. You have put the two items together that I love. Coffee and chocolate. Yummy. I will be writting this recipe down.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yumm.Mee. I must try this one. Love the chocolate/coffee combo..

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds great. I will have to make this for my family.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds like a fun and good recipe. I will have to do some substitutions, because I am not a fan of the coffee flavor. But I am sure this recipe would be able to produce something else as delectable as you created with the coffee flavor. Thanks for sharing with us at Food on Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think I just found my Father's Day dessert! Thanks for this recipe! ~ Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hubby would love that for Father's day too!
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    ~Really Rainey~

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.