Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Favorite Recipes of the Last Decade (Main Dishes)


With ten years of recipes, there are a lot of great options to choose from when meal planning or party planning or what have you. But, like happens so often in life, we return to the same favorites again and again. So, today, I'm featuring those favorites of ours -- the main dishes from each year in the past ten that are in a regular rotation at our house. All of these are spectacular - I hope you will try one or two and get them into the rotation at your house!

2009: Southwestern Potpie


This is one of my favorite meals of all time. I love everything about it: the delicious sauce laden with chili powder, the textures and colors of the carrots, corns, beans, chicken, green onions, the delicious corn bread topping. I love taking the leftovers for lunch the next day or two even more.

2010: Spicy Sweet Potato and Sausage Soup


This is the simplest soup ever, but it's a combo I would have never put together on my own, so I'm glad I discovered it in an old newspaper clipping. It's perfect for chasing away the chills on a winter day, or for clearing out your sinuses. (Ahem.)

2011: Shrimp with Orzo


This is a beautiful main dish salad perfect for hot summer days when you want something cool and refreshing. It is full of shrimp, cucumbers, dill and feta and pairs beautifully with crusty bread and a big fruit salad.

2012: Crockpot Carnitas


I have lost count of how many times I have made these carnitas. We eat them in tacos, in rice bowls, on brunch tostadas, Cuban quesadillas, and on "taco" salads. Every single time I serve them, my teenage daughter says, "This meat is SO good." Every. single. time.

2013: Chicken Lettuce Wraps


This is a favorite, and often requested, dinner at our house. Literally, cheers erupt from the diners when they see this on the table. It's also easy and quick, two of my requirements for weeknight dinners. (Delicious is the third requirement, and this fits the bill there as well.)

2014: Chicken Wild Rice Soup


I love that this soup cooks in the crockpot while we're at church. And as you saw yesterday, cooking wild rice in the crock pot is the most famous way! Cook in into this soup and you will be happy, and full.

2015: Roasted Red Pepper and Sausage Pasta


Speaking of often requested, this is the most popular pasta dish at our house. It even gets named as the preferred birthday meal - which is pretty high praise, if I do say so myself. And I love that it's the most popular even though it's loaded with spinach!

2016: Asian Beef Short Ribs


I originally started making these in the crockpot, and have adapted the recipe for the Instant Pot. Either way, they are scrumptious.

2017: Butternut Squash Curry Soup with Shrimp


If you like Thai food, you should make this soup immediately. If you're not sure, make this soup anyway. I promise you'll love it. It is SO good - and we love it with rice, noodles and couscous (not all at the same time...)

2018: Cuban Quesadillas


I love Cuban sandwiches, but I think I love these quesadillas more. The fillings really shine here - and as mentioned above, this is a great use for carnitas. I also use leftover pork tenderloin in these with great results. These quesadillas are a huge hit with the family as well.

So there it is - one recipe from every year that is regularly made and eaten at our house. I hope you'll try one or two and let me know what you think!

Stay tuned for my favorite dishes from the last ten years that aren't mains!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.