Friday, June 15, 2012

Whole Wheat Blueberry Donuts



Mmmmm donuts. I love donuts. I agree they are not the healthiest choice, but they are a wonderful indulgence. I tend to indulge too frequently. So I am happy to have found this recipe that uses white whole wheat flour and other "good for you" ingredients. These substitutions, along with baking these treats, means you can enjoy donuts without all the guilt.

Start by combining the dry ingredients in a large bowl: flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and cinnamon.



In a liquid measuring cup, combine the yogurt, milk and eggs.



Whisk until smooth then add the blueberries. Lightly smash them up with a back of a fork.

Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients



and stir just until the dry ingredients are completely moistened. It's ok if the batter is lumpy. Spoon the batter into a greased donut pan.



Bake for 15-17 minutes or until donuts spring back when touched lightly.



Let cool in the pan for a minute, then remove to a wire rack.



Let cool slightly while you make the glaze. Combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice



and whisk together. Add enough milk - slowly! - until the mixture is a good glaze consistency.

Dip the donuts in the glaze



then turn right side up and return to the rack.



I loved seeing all these donuts lined up!



These are great when still a little warm, or when room temperature. They're good just any time in any place. Enjoy them, and don't feel guilty at all!

One year ago: Berrymisu
Two years ago: Cherry Chicken Salad
Three years ago: Oriental Coleslaw

Find more inspiration at Sweet Tooth Friday, Foodie Friday, Food on Fridays, Friday Food, Foodie Friday (#2), Foodie Friday (#3), Whatcha Whipped up Wednesday.

Whole Wheat Blueberry Donuts

1 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
4 Tbsp. plain, vanilla or blueberry yogurt
3 Tbsp. milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)

1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1-2 Tbsp. milk

In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. In a liquid measuring cup or small bowl, combine the yogurt, milk and eggs. Whiskhttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif until combined. Add the blueberries and smash slightly with the back of a fork.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir just until all ingredients are moistened. Spoon the batter into a greased donut pan. Bake at 325 for 15-17 minutes or until the donuts spring back when touched. Let cool in the pan for a minute, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Meantime, combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice and whisk well. Gradually add milk, whisking constantly, until it reaches glaze consistency. Dip the donuts into the glaze and then turn right side up and return to the rack. Makes 8 donuts.

Recipe source: Adapted from Finding Joy in my Kitchen

8 comments:

  1. These look great! I'm always on the lookout for baked doughnut recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, I want to try these! I love the healthy changes you've made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look fantastic and I was JUST thinking I needed to find some interesting recipes to use up the last of my frozen blueberries from last year before we get into this years crop. Totally pinning this, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bought a doughnut pan last month and Ihave been on the lookout for good recipes. I'll have to add this one to my list. I'd love for you to share this over at Whatcha Whipped Up Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice healthy alternative to the usual donut...almost reminds me of blueberry bagels, but better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A healthy donut. I thought I heard of everything! Thanks for sharing it on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the use of yogurt! And, yes, 8ish donuts was the final count! I will update that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yummm, I am pinning these to try!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.