Thursday, April 1, 2010

Roasted Vegetable Pizza



I'm such a fan of roasted vegetables that I thought they would make a great topping for a pizza. And a great option if you're going meatless or trying to increase your veggie intake. This is very easy to put together, and although I roasted the vegetables especially for the pizza, I know now that in the future I will just plan for extra when I'm making them as a side dish so I can have a pizza later in the week!

You can use whatever vegetables you prefer or have on hand. This time, I used zucchini, red pepper, red onion and mushrooms. First, chop all the vegetables. I usually cut the zucchini in half lengthwise in then slice crosswise; quarter the mushrooms and dice the onion and pepper in medium-sized chunks.



Toss these in a mixing bowl with a couple teaspoons or so of olive oil,



then add some chopped garlic.



Stir it all up so all the vegetables are coated, then transfer to a large rimmed baking pan.



I love using my stoneware bar pan for this, but any rimmed baking sheet would work.
Roast the vegetables for 20-30 minutes, stirring about every 10 minutes until they are tender but not mushy.

While the vegetables are in the oven, roll out your pizza crust. I used dough from our local Italian grocery this time, but if you want to use homemade, I have a couple recipes here and here.

I usually lightly coat the crust with olive oil, brushing it on with a pastry brush, just about one teaspoon. This helps "seal" the crust so that the sauce doesn't soak in too much.

Spread the pizza sauce on, and then when the vegetables are done, scatter them over the sauce.



Sprinkle with the feta,



then the mozzarella



and bake for 12-16 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and starting to turn golden.

Get more inspiration at the Krazy Kitchen , Foodie Friday, Food on Fridays and Friday Food.

Roasted Vegetable Pizza

2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise
1/2 medium red pepper, diced
1/2 medium red onion, diced
4 oz. fresh whole mushrooms, quartered (or used sliced)
2 tsp. olive oil
3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
Pizza crust
1 tsp. olive oil
2/3 cup pizza sauce
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Combine the vegetables, 2 tsp. olive oil and garlic in a mixing bowl and stir well to coat all the vegetables. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet and roast at 425 for 15-20 minutes until vegetables are tender but not mushy, stirring every 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, roll out pizza crust, and brush 1 tsp olive oil over crust. Spread pizza sauce over crust, and top with vegetables when done. Sprinkle feta over vegetables, then mozzarella. Bake for 12-16 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbly. Makes 8 large slices.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a huge fan of roasted vegetables too - I use them in loads of things. Your pizza looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.