Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Sweet 'n' Sour Polish Sausage


I love cooking with kielbasa, so when I found this recipe in an old cookbook, I was sure it would be a winner. And I wasn't disappointed. Kielbasa is PERFECT for sweet and sour; I can't believe I didn't think of it myself! Salty polish sausage swims in a tangy sauce along with peppers, onions and pineapple. It's delicious! This recipe is super easy to whip up, perfect for a busy weeknight. Cook the rice in the microwave while you assemble the stir fry, and supper will be ready in a jif. (Do you have a microwave rice cooker? It has transformed my rice cooking life, and I am not exaggerating.)


Find more great stuff at Hearth and Soul, What's Cooking, Totally Talented, Create, Link, Inspire, Clever Chicks, Try a New Recipe, Tasty Tuesday, Tickle my Tastebuds, Foodie Friday, Friday Flash, Showcase your Talent.

Sweet 'n' Sour Polish Sausage

1 pound smoked kielbasa, cut into 1/2 inch slices and then cut in half to make half moons
1 medium onion, chopped in large dice
5-6 mini peppers, chopped, or 1 1/2 cups chopped sweet bell peppers
3/4 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1 tsp. salt
1 - 20 oz. can pineapple chunks
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 cup water

In a large skillet, brown the sausage over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add peppers and onion and cook and stir for 3-4 minutes.

In a large measuring cup, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, cider vinegar and salt. Place a strainer over the cup and empty the can of pineapple into the strainer. (The juice will go into the sauce; set aside the pineapple chunks.) Whisk the sauce well, then add to the skillet. Stir well and bring to a boil.

In same large measuring cup, combine water and cornstarch and whisk well to combine. Add to the meat and vegetable mixture in the skillet, and stir and cook for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the pineapple chunks and let simmer til heated through, about 2 minutes. Serve over hot rice. Serves 6-8.

1 comment:

  1. Your Sweet and Sour Polish Sausage sounds really good. I'm always looking for a new and different recipe. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.